Iranian Foundation Offers Land to Salman Rushdie's Attacker - State Media
An Iranian foundation has praised the man who attacked novelist Salman Rushdie last year, leaving him severely injured, and said it will reward him with 1,000 square meters of agricultural land, state media reported on Tuesday, February 21, through its Telegram channel.
Rushdie, 75, lost an eye and the use of one hand following the assault by Hadi Matar, a 24-year-old Shi'ite Muslim American from New Jersey, on the stage of a literary event held near Lake Erie in western New York in August.
"We sincerely thank the brave action of the young American who made Muslims happy by blinding one of Rushdie's eyes and disabling one of his hands," said Mohammad Esmail Zarei, secretary of the Foundation to Implement Imam Khomeini's Fatwas.
"Rushdie is now no more than living dead and to honor this brave action, about 1,000 square meters of agricultural land will be donated to the person or any of his legal representatives," Zarei added.
The attack came 33 years after Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, then Iran's supreme leader, called on Muslims to assassinate Rushdie a few months after The Satanic Verses was published. Some Muslims saw passages in the novel about the Prophet Muhammad as blasphemous. (JPost / VFI News)
“God, we hope that violent acts will not be encouraged or even rewarded by any and all nations onwards, and that malevolent people will be prevented from acting on their destructive impulses.”